Monday, October 20, 2008

After Dark: DAY 1 - Let The Right One In


DAY 1

The Narrator (Justin Decloux) – He smells faintly of garlic. His hair isn’t combed. He’ll stare at you with a glazed expression and speak only references to pre-season 10 episodes of The Simpsons. Stay clear.

Christian Murdoch –A Fanatic Film Fan. He’s the narrator’s go-to guy for help assassinating zombies. He can crush a man’s skull into the form of a diamond. He would make an ideal husband.

Madison Parker- Festival Virgin and Female Perspective on Male Idiocy. She will woo you with her boundless charm.

Adam Lopez – Head Programmer, Manager and all around maestro of the After Dark Film Festival. The few who have felt his wrath have been stricken from history books. Mortal eyes shall wither and burn if they ever cross his form.

Dobblar the Gopher– An Evil Gopher who does Evil Things. Sneaky. Don't eat any of his candy.

“What if they figure out I’m a fraud?” I whispered to Chris, my partner in crime, as we shuffled closer to the table where I was going to pick up my press pass. I wasn’t press. I was just a guy who couldn’t differentiate you and you’re. I was a bozo that scribbled rants about films I onlt half remembered seeing through a haze of highly illegal narcotics at 4:00 AM in a stranger's (He had a beard. I think) basement. I’ve only seen twelve films in my entire life. Everything else I make up as I go along.

“You’ll be fine. I’m the one that’s sweating.” Chris said. He was a few years shy of the mandatory viewing age and his charade of appearing older wore him down to a jangle of nerves.

“Don’t worry! I don’t think anyone will realizes you’re actually s—“ I said loud enough for all 1104 people in line to hear.

Chris signaled me to be quiet down by punching me in the throat. The suits could be listening. The whole operation could be blown. And if he was going to miss out on After Dark, the only highlight in his barren high-school existence, he would have my head on a pike. Then he would kill me. Slowly.

It was my second time at Toronto After Dark (Now in its third incarnation) and the feeling of something exra-special was in the air. The films were high-class (Snagging the soon to be cult Repo: The Genetic Opera was a coup), the presentation slicker then ever (It’s all about the glossy full color programs) and more ticket sales then they ever imagined possible promised rowdy crowds. I had somehow tricked the management into letting me attend as a member of the Press this year. My human sacrifice had finally paid off.


The film of the night was ‘Let One Right In’, a Swedish film about a bullied twelve year old boy who befriends a 12 year old looking girl that happens to have a taste for the red stuff. Yup, she’s a vampire.


‘Let the Right One In’ was the perfect picture start off the fest: Dramatic, featured a hint of genre without ever going over the top with it, and a foreign filmness to add to make the audience think 'I'm seeing something different' . It’s the kind of film that is easier to talk about then watch again. I found the performances spot on, the mood perfect, and the direction restrained. I don’t know if I’d rush out to see it again, mostly because of a painfully slow pace, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

For the first time ever, an After Dark screening was completely sold out. Not only that, but due to a processing error, 100 ticket holders had to be turned away at the door due to the theater being packed to capacity. Adam Lopez was sincerely sorry about it all, but you could tell that on the inside, he was happy as blood gorged vampire.

***

I stepped out into the cool 3 AM night air and took a deep breath. My friend Madison giggled. Behind us, the After Party continued to rock on. Someone was beating up the strings on a Viola.
“I’ve never been this drunk” Madison slurred through her trade marked grin “Do festivals always rock this much?"

"Only time will tell." I said in my best wise-man voice "But I think you got lucky with this one."

She agreed by breaking into a dance. A homeless man wearing a top-hat glanced in our direction and I could almost read his thoughts.

"Crazy film people."

And proud of it!

3 comments:

Ph. D said...

Gonzo? What is this?

JustinD said...

If you read it in Johnny Depp doing Thompson's voice the entertainment value goes up 2%!

(I didn't even think of the Gonzo-ness of it all. HA!)

Safin said...

48 GO GREEN
The Ultimate International Eco Film Fest
The Film competition To Save The Planet!

48 Go Green is a 48-hour short film festival with a difference. With the power to inspire and to change the world, 48 Go Green was born out of the creativity of the world’s filmmakers, the passion of its story-tellers and the immediate need to save our environment.
Anyone, anywhere on earth can enter and be a part of one of the biggest global film festivals of 2011. All you need is a camera, a can-do attitude and a spark of creativity and you could find yourself attending the prestigious screening of your VERY OWN film at Cannes Short Film Corner and the NAB Show in Las Vegas!
48 Go Green is brought to you by executive producer Francesco Vitali & producer Christos Siametis in association with the founders of the 48 Hour Film Project, Mark Ruppert and Liz Langston. The 48 Go Green has joined forces with the original 48 Hour Film Project to bring a unique and inspirational opportunity to ecologically-minded film enthusiasts around the globe. Inspired by our planet’s natural beauty and the creativity and passion of filmmakers around the world what better way to explore the environmental challenges we face than to channel that adrenaline, enthusiasm and intense creativity into powerful and thought-provoking short films?
48 GO GREEN OFFERS PARTICIPANTS THE ULTIMATE PRIZE OF ALL - PROJECTING YOUR MESSAGE TO HELP SAVE OUR ENVIRONMENT.
Also at stake is a total of $15,000 of prize money to the winning filmmakers who will have their films screened at Cannes International Film Festival in the prestigious Short Film Corner and at the Las Vegas NAB show from April 9th – 14th 2011.
First place offers a cash prize of $5,000 with $2,000 going to the runner up and $1,000 for third place filmmakers.
The top 16 films will be prestigiously screened at the Las Vegas NAB show.
This year there will be no committee of judges. Instead the public will vote on their favourite film in the competition.
Message from Executive Producer Francesco Vitali:
“We want your film to be loved by the people who love films, by people like you who know how to pick up a camera, by colleagues who themselves write scripts, or who themselves have collaborated in any way on the completion of a film, or at very least by people who are fans of films in general. The public has emotions and the instinct as it has the responsibility of its opinion.”
"So what are you waiting for? Assemble your team of creatives, your camera-equipped eco-warriors and prepare to make a stand against the destruction of our planet by creating the most powerful cinematic message, a 48 Go Green Short Film!
http://www.48gogreen.com